Friday, October 19, 2018

Welcome back into our weekly time of silence and retreat! Day one settling in!






Good Evening Dear Family!

Happy Friday and Retreat Weekend! It's time to go back into the silence and find peace of mind. Today I went back to walking and the pool and was grateful to the time spent in silence and the healing waters. That was until I almost got run over by a man in a white van who wasn't watching for pedestrians. I'm okay! But that is one lesson learned that we must keep our kind of defensible space as walkers. People aren't watching for pedestrians. So dear ones we need to be awake and woke to many things these days. That is why our time of silence and retreat is so necessary. It helps us to refocus and get back to ourselves. This weekend we won't be having any special theme just our own self-directed times of silence, prayer time, and making vigil. Our lessons today are from the Feast Day of Henry Martyn. Please see a link to his biography below in the resources section.



Let us engage in our mindfulness time with these:

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.


Breathing Exercises with Thich Nhat Hanh
“*Breathing in, I know this is my in-breath.
Breathing out, I know this is my out-breath.*

It's very simple, but very effective. When we bring our attention to our in-breath and our out-breath, we stop thinking of the past; we stop thinking of the future; and we begin to come home to ourselves...Don't think this practice doesn't apply to you. If we don't go home to ourselves, we can't be at our best and serve the world in the best way... Our quality of being is the foundation for the quality of our actions.

*Breathing in, I'm aware of my whole body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of my whole body.*

Breathing mindfully brings us back to our bodies. We have to acknowledge our bodies first because tension and suffering accumulate in the body. Breathing in this way, we create a kind of family reunion between mind and body. The mind becomes an embodied mind.
...We can't do our best if we don't know to release the tension and pain in ourselves. 

*Breathing in, I'm aware of the tension in my body.
Breathing out, I'm aware of the tension in my body.*

When we look at the suffering around us, at poverty, violence, or climate change, we may want to solve these things immediately. We want to do something. But to do something effectively and ethically, we need to be our best selves in order to be able to handle the suffering...
*Breathing in, I am aware of a painful feeling arising.
Breathing out, I release the painful feeling.*

This is a nonviolent and gentle way to help our bodies release tension and pain. It is possible to practice mindful breathing in order to produce a feeling of joy, a feeling of happiness. When we are well-nourished and know how to create joy, then we are strong enough to handle the deep pain within ourselves and the world.”
― Thich Nhat HanhGood Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society

Ponderings!


"Now let me burn out for God." ~ Henry Martyn

"The spirit of Christ is the spirit of missions. The nearer we get to Him, the more intensely missionary we become." ~ Henry Martyn

"If [God] has work for me to do, I cannot die." ~ Henry Martyn

"I have rightfully no other business each day but to do God's work as a servant, constantly regarding His pleasure. May I have grace to live above every human motive, simply with God and to God." ~ Henry Martyn

"Let me burn out for God. After all, 
 whatever God may appoint, prayer 
 is the great thing. Oh, that I might 
 be a man of prayer!" ~ Henry Martyn

++++

God is Spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and
in truth. John 4:24


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.

Let us light our candles and pray the words of the Beatitudes! as our vigil prayer today





MATTHEW 5:1-11


THE BEATITUDES

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

This vigil prayer may be added as well!





God we light our candles and pray for rest, relaxation, and the renewing of our bodies, minds, and spirits. We pray for all those who work and cannot  rest that they may be afforded rest time while they are at home. We pray for peace in our hearts, lives, world, nation, and the world. Let peace begin with us. Let us pray for the courage to be mindful of others as we remember and pray for the least of these. We pray for all those things that cause us to be unsettled that we may learn to breathe and take things one at a time and day by day. We pray for all of our family members who are in need of the basic necessities of life and that they may have food, clothing, shelter, and employment. We pray that as we begin this weekend that we may remember and pray for the many faith communities that are preparing for worship and prayer. We pray that we we may be united with them in bonds of love, peace, and greater understanding and acceptance. We pray and light these our candles in loving memory of all who have died and all the family members who mourn their loss. Let us light our candles in loving solidarity together to be truly family and shine our lights to those whose hearts are angered, broken, and in need of holy healing and light. We pray these our prayers in the Holy Name of Jesus. Amen.

"The light of Christ in Me Recognizes the Light of Christ in You!"


Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is
hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where
there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where
there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where
there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to
be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is
in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we
are born to eternal life. Amen.


A Smudging Prayer

 Creator, our Father in heaven, we come to you as your children. We confess that we are weak and broken images of you. We pray for the forgiveness and healing you give in Jesus Christ. May his Spirit clean our spirits, minds, hearts, and bodies. We pray that your Holy Spirit will help us to worship in spirit and truth. We pray in the name of Jesus, so that his Spirit will carry our prayers to you. Amen.


IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.

Luis Valdez






A Song of Pilgrimage Priusquam errarem

Ecclesiasticus 51:13-16,20b-22


Before I ventured forth,
even while I was very young, *
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer.
In the forecourts of the temple I asked for her, *
and I will seek her to the end.
From first blossom to early fruit, *
she has been the delight of my heart.
My foot has kept firmly to the true path, *
diligently from my youth have I pursued her.
I inclined my ear a little and received her; *
I found for myself much wisdom and became adept in her.
To the one who gives me wisdom will I give glory, *
for I have resolved to live according to her way.
From the beginning I gained courage from her, *
therefore I will not be forsaken.
In my inmost being I have been stirred to seek her, *
therefore have I gained a good possession.
As my reward the Almighty has given me the gift of language,*
and with it will I offer praise to God.

98 Cantate Domino

1 Sing to the Lord a new song, *
for he has done marvelous things.

2 With his right hand and his holy arm *
has he won for himself the victory.

3 The Lord has made known his victory; *
his righteousness has he openly shown in the sight of the nations.

4 He remembers his mercy and faithfulness to the house of Israel, *
and all the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.

5 Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands; *
lift up your voice, rejoice, and sing.

6 Sing to the Lord with the harp, *
with the harp and the voice of song.

7 With trumpets and the sound of the horn *
shout with joy before the King, the Lord.

8 Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it, *
the lands and those who dwell therein.

9 Let the rivers clap their hands, *
and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
when he comes to judge the earth.

10 In righteousness shall he judge the world *
and the peoples with equity.

A Song of the Wilderness
Isaiah 35:1-7,10
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away

Isaiah 49:1-6

The Servant’s Mission

49Listen to me, O coastlands,
   pay attention, you peoples from far away!
The Lord called me before I was born,
   while I was in my mother’s womb he named me. 
2 He made my mouth like a sharp sword,
   in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
he made me a polished arrow,
   in his quiver he hid me away. 
3 And he said to me, ‘You are my servant,
   Israel, in whom I will be glorified.’ 
4 But I said, ‘I have laboured in vain,
   I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity;
yet surely my cause is with the Lord,
   and my reward with my God.’ 

5 And now the Lord says,
   who formed me in the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him,
   and that Israel might be gathered to him,
for I am honoured in the sight of the Lord,
   and my God has become my strength— 
6 he says,
‘It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
   to raise up the tribes of Jacob
   and to restore the survivors of Israel;
I will give you as a light to the nations,
   that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.’ 


A Song of Ezekiel
Ezekiel 36:24-28

I will take you from among all nations; *
and gather you from all lands to bring you home.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you; *
and purify you from false gods and uncleanness.
A new heart I will give you *
and a new spirit put within you.
I will take the stone heart from your chest *
and give you a heart of flesh.
I will help you walk in my laws *
and cherish my commandments and do them.
You shall be my people, *
and I will be your God.


John 4:22-26




22You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him. 24God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.’ 25The woman said to him, ‘I know that Messiah is coming’ (who is called Christ). ‘When he comes, he will proclaim all things to us.’ 26Jesus said to her, ‘I am he,*the one who is speaking to you.’

A Song of Christ’s Goodness
Anselm of Canterbury

Jesus, as a mother you gather your people to you; *
you are gentle with us as a mother with her children.
Often you weep over our sins and our pride, *
tenderly you draw us from hatred and judgment.
You comfort us in sorrow and bind up our wounds, *
in sickness you nurse us and with pure milk you feed us.
Jesus, by your dying, we are born to new life; *
by your anguish and labor we come forth in joy.
Despair turns to hope through your sweet goodness; *
through your gentleness, we find comfort in fear.
Your warmth gives life to the dead, *
your touch makes sinners righteous.
Lord Jesus, in your mercy, heal us; *
in your love and tenderness, remake us.
In your compassion, bring grace and forgiveness, *
for the beauty of heaven, may your love prepare us.


Almighty God, whose Son Jesus Christ is the pioneer and perfecter of our faith: We give you heartfelt thanks for the pioneering spirit of your servant Henry Martyn. Grant us grace to proclaim the Gospel of Christ in every place and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to bring all people to the knowledge and love of you. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.


Tonight let's take time for reflection with the timer or musical selection. In the quiet let us reflect upon this past week and look forward to our retreat time to come. Here is tonight's selection: We Are Called - David Haas 

Dear Jesus, we lift all of our prayers at your feet and loving arms this night. 

We pray for an end to every armed conflict in the world and that peace may prevail.
Come Lord Jesus and heal God's broken world.

We pray for all who mourn the loss of any loved ones and bring comfort to those who grieve.
Jesus, Help us to know that it is ok to grieve and weep as you wept at the tomb of your friend Lazarus.

Help us to be more loving, compassionate, accepting of all our family members,giving, less critical, more humane, more kind, more merciful, and to let our egos go and let you in.

We pray for those receiving treatments for cancer and other illnesses.
Come Lord Jesus, Heal us and make us whole.

We pray for your friends Martha and Mary of Bethany, help us to strive for balance and choose what you'd like us to do.
Jesus, help us to listen and choose.

We pray for our most vulnerable family members remembering the homeless, hungry, lost, brokenhearted, elderly, children, refugees, victims and survivors of domestic violence and child abuse, the lonely, and anyone who is brought to our hearts.

Jesus, help us to respond to and care for the Least of these.

We pray for all awaiting surgery and diagnoses of any kind.
Jesus, help to to learn to wait, watch , and pray.

We give thanks for Walk With Me On Our Journey may we continue to pray, walk, and respond to what you are having us do.
Jesus, may we continue to pray and walk the King's Highway.

We pray for all who travel and are on pilgrimage anywhere. We remember especially those who are on pilgrimage in the holy places of the Holy Land.
Jesus, be with them and protect them on every side.

Jesus, may we who are discerning vocations and any ministry have listening hearts and the courage to say yes to your call to serve God in the 
Church and the world.


Jesus we add our prayers, thanksgivings, remembrances, and celebrations here before you______________


God help us to be united in love as your beloved children.

 "Where true charity is, there is God."

God  help and teach us to be peacemakers.

"Where Charity and Love Prevail",

God help us to help you end the cycle of violence and turn our hearts towards you in compassion, acceptance, love, and mercy.

"Where true charity is, there is God."

God give us the strength and courage to stand with the voiceless ones and those who are facing times of being under siege and threat.

"Where Charity and Love Prevail",

God help us to care for all of your dear children and especially the least of these who are looking for help, a soft place in which to fall. 

"Where true charity is, there is God."

God heal all those who are ill in body, mind, and spirit! We remember especially______________

Where Charity and Love Prevail"


Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
As we are gathered into one body,
Beware, lest we be divided in mind.
Let evil impulses stop, let controversy cease,
And may Christ our God be in our midst.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
And may we with the saints also,
See Thy face in glory, O Christ our God:
The joy that is immense and good,
Unto the ages through infinite ages. Amen.

Ubi Caritas


Let us be at prayer and take our time being in conversation and listening with God.

God of Love, we pray this night for all who don't feel your loving arms around them. Help us to love the unloving and wrap our loving arms around them. 

God of Creation, we give thanks to you for all that you have made and may we walk tenderly in God's Cathedral of Life.

God of  Love, we pray for peace in this fragile and broken world. Heal all divisions and  lead us to be peacemakers and  hope bearers.

God of Creation, we pray for rain and an awareness that we are called to be conservationists and stewards of this planet that you called into being.

God of Love, we pray that we all may be lead to full inclusion as Your family Members.

God of Healing, we pray for all our family members both great and small who are ill and seek your healing touch. May they receive your healing and loving grace. 

God of Life, may we take time to live as you would have us do. May we respond to your call and follow you wherever you lead us.

God of all Mercy, we pray for all who are transitioning towards a new live with You in the Thin Places and all who have made the heavenly and joyous journey into eternal life.

God  of  all Gentleness comfort those who mourn and may we we be sources of strength and comfort to them.

God we give thanks to you for our many blessings especially_____________________


God of our family, we pray for all our family members and ourselves  remembering especially_____________

Lord Jesus come quickly and heal us and make us whole. We lift these our prayers to you In your most Holy Name. Amen.

Or these!
Let us be at prayer

God of peace, we pray for all who have been victims, of violence, abuse, and terror.  
Let us beat our swords into ploughshares and spears into pruning hooks and never learn war no more.

God of peace we pray for all children who are in need of protection that they may be safe at home, school, or any place where they play, live, and learn. 
Let us beat our swords into ploughshares and spears into pruning hook and never learn war anymore.

God of peace we pray that love, peace, justice, and mercy may prevail upon the earth.

God of peace may we practice conservation and be good stewards of this your fragile and broken world and that we may not commit violence upon all living things and especially to the land, air, water,and all that you created. 

God of Peace we pray for all who commit and are lead to  these terrible acts of violence, abuse, and terror that they may lead away by your holy arms of strength and that they may repent of any wrongdoing.

God of Peace, we pray for all family members who have loved ones who suffer and live with mental illness. We pray that they may receive the help that they need.

God of peace we pray that all towns and cities may be afforded the gift of having facilities for those who have mental illness and mental health  difficulties.

God of peace, we pray for an end to extremism in its many forms May they turn their hearts, minds, and spirits into loving You O God and our Family of God.

God of peace may all the least of these never become driven to commit acts of violence, terror, and abuse because they are lost, lonely, hungry, and homeless.

God of peace we pray for all of our family members who are mourning and deep grief over t the loss of loved ones who were victims of violence and terror.  May we show them love, kindness, and compassion.

God of peace we pray for all who travel that they may be safely lead to their destination and and back home.

God of peace we pray for all of our family members who are ill and especially those who are living with chronic illness. We pray that all the medical teams may get a handle on these scary illnesses. We pray for an end to all diseases that wreak havoc and cause fear.

Holy God, you are our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble.

God  of peace we lay down our burdens this night as we offer these our prayers and those on  behalf of others in the Name of Jesus Your Son. Amen.

If you must be heard, let it be like the babbling brook,
laughing over the rocks.

If you must be seen, let it be like sunlight
giving warmth and comfort to all.

If you must be acknowledged, let it be as the eyes
behold the skies in all their glory.

If you must lead, let it be like the wind and all its unshackled direction.

If you must learn, let it be like breathing,
the natural flow of in and out,
and done without thinking.

If you must teach, let it be like the water,
deep and flowing,
for your words are like pebbles in a pond,
the ripples they cause spread out in all directions,
and what you give out eventually returns.

If you must know, let it be flowing and growing.

And above all, if you must:
shine!

Kerry Hillcoat


Our Father, who art in heaven,
    hallowed be thy Name,
    thy kingdom come,
    thy will be done,
        on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our tresspasses,
    as we forgive those
        who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
    and the power, and the glory,
    for ever and ever. Amen.

St. Teresa's Bookmark

Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. Whoever has God lacks nothing. God alone suffices.


Christ has no body- St. Teresa of Avila

Christ has no body now on earth but yours; no hands but yours; no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which the compassion of Christ must look out on the world. Yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which He is to bless His people.


Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more
than we can ask or imagine: Glory to God from generation to
generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever.
Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

This additional rite of Compline from the Northumbria Community may be added.

Friday – The Boisil Compline

Boisil, Prior of Melrose Abbey, died in 661. Bede described him as a ‘priest of great virtue and prophetic spirit.’ Boisil, on his first meeting with Cuthbert, who was to be his pupil, exclaimed, ‘Behold, the servant of the Lord!’ – recognizing the call of God on the young man’s life.If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.
+ (silently)
* O Lord, You will keep us safe
and protect us forever.
I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.
* I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.
* Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.
* Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.
Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.
* Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.
* Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.
God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.
* In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


+++++

Good Night Dear Family! I love you and give God Thanks for you this night and always!I am sending Light to heal you to hold you: I am sending you Light to hold you in Love.*  Tomorrow we will have our weekly porch light and candlelight prayer vigil. We will be focusing in on healing!
Peace, love, prayers, and God's Blessings be always with you,

Sara


Resources:
Northumbria Community
Enriching Our Worship
Book of Common Prayer
A to Z quotes for Henry Martyn
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Satucket Lectionary and info on Henry Martyn
Quote Sites for Prayers
In Lak 'Ech - Luis Valdez
Smudging Prayer - Metis Aboriginal Ministries.
* John Phillip Newell
YouTube-Taize and David Haas

No comments:

Post a Comment