Monday, October 1, 2018

Reflections on a funeral and the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux!








Good Evening Beloved Ones,

Happy October 1, 2018! Rabbit -Rabbit and all that jazz. Today was one of those unusual days where I attended a funeral for a friend who was not of my faith. He was a member of the Bahai faith. It was a wonderful service. This was my first time at a Bahai service. Before I left the house I decided I had better find out what their funeral rituals were and to be able to be respectful.  This is what everyone should do. The readings were familiar enough to not be confusing. I realized that God is God and we are all members of  family called humankind. After the mortuary service we went over to the cemetery and had the burial service. I walked to the mortuary and cemetery services. As I walked through the Santa Maria Cemetery, I saw many familiar names etched on the headstones. It is truly humbling to say the least. I walked through the cemetery afterwards and felt like I was on a holy pilgrimage to pay my respects to many of our parishioners, friends, and people who were like family, who are family. Lots of things swept through my mind as I walked through the cemetery and know how important end of life decisions are. Hint! (Have you made your arrangements?). Today is also the Feast Day of  Thérèse of Lisieux, who reminds us that we are the holy people of God. Everyone is a holy person of God and we are God's children whatever faith we practice. Today's ponderings are her quotes and Mahatma Gandhi's. Let us be at prayer and take time to be together as one. 


Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.

Peace be still.
Peace be.
Peace.


Ponderings!



"He [Jesus] has no need of our works but only of our love." ~ Therese of Lisieux

"The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Whose hands are God's hands, but our hands?" ~ Therese of Lisieux

"Our greatest ability as humans is not to change the world; but to change ourselves." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"A word or a smile is often enough to put fresh life in a despondent soul." ~ Therese of Lisieux

"You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be." ~ Therese of Lisieux

"Poverty is the worst form of violence." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Silence does good to the soul." ~ Therese of Lisieux

"Be truthful, gentle, and fearless." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Remember that nothing is small in the eyes of God. Do all that you do with love." ~ Therese of Lisieux

"I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

If I chose to hide you away, it is for a reason.
I have brought you to this place.
Drink in the silence. Seek solitude.

Listen to the silence.

It will teach you. It will build strength
Let others share it with you.
It is little to be found elsewhere.

Silence will speak more to you in a day than the world of voices can teach you in a lifetime.
Find silence. Find solitude – and having discovered her riches, bind her to your heart.

           Frances J. Roberts

Let us have a time  of sitting quietly in preparation for our candlelight prayer vigil and time of prayer.  10 minutes should do it for this week we will add time as we go along the way. For those of you who have problems with distraction because of white noise you may listen to this piece of sacred music: 
Spem In Alium -Thomas Tallis - The Tallis Scholars


Now take a look at your hands and imagine them in a peaceful position with open palms and unclenched fists. 

Stay there with palms wide open as if you are receiving a gift from God and God's present to you is God's Presence.

Now think on these words as we begin to prepare for  for our time of  prayer vigiling: 

Lift up your hands to the holy place and bless the LORD!


And these :
Psalm 141
2 Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
   and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice. 

Let us build bridges as we pray together in silence and extend our hands, hearts, and selves to one another as a gift of presence in peace. 


God we come to this night with our hearts and hands open as we light our candles and pray as we in the words of Psalm 141
 "Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
   and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice. 
God may we come to you with a vision clear that this isn't a time of gimme, gimme, gimme or instant expectations but, with hearts full of prayers and thanksgivings not just for ourselves but on behalf of others and this world where there is great need. We pray that with our hands ready to serve you and the least of these we may find this a time of bridge building and peacemaking  We pray that with our open hands we may seek to use them as offerings of help, love, giving, and solace and our word for soothing of our souls, soulace*. We come to you as we lift up our hands in grateful thanksgiving and praise and that they may rise to the heavens in holy and enthusiastic joy and hope. We pray that we may extend our hands in peace to our enemies and those who hate us and offer to them a sign that we are here to build and not destroy. We lift these our prayers and place them in your loving and healing hands O God. We also present the Light of Christ to each other remembering these words as we close our time of prayer "The Light of Christ in Me recognizes the Light of Christ in You!"  We pray these prayers with hands and lights uplifted in Jesus most Holy Name. Amen.

*My word for the  calming of our souls!

IN LAK’ECH

Tú eres mi otro yo.
You are my other me.
Si te hago daño a ti,
If I do harm to you,
Me hago daño a mi mismo.
I do harm to myself.
Si te amo y respeto,
If I love and respect you,
Me amo y respeto yo.
I love and respect myself.
Luis Valdez

Let us say together the Phos Hilaron:


Light of the World Phos hilaron

Light of the world, in grace and beauty,
Mirror of God’s eternal face,
Transparent flame of love’s free duty,
You bring salvation to our race.
Now, as we see the lights of evening,
We raise our voice in hymns of praise;
Worthy are you of endless blessing,
Sun of our night, lamp of our days.


119

Aleph Beati immaculati

1 Happy are they whose way is blameless, *
who walk in the law of the Lord!

2 Happy are they who observe his decrees *
and seek him with all their hearts!

3 Who never do any wrong, *
but always walk in his ways.

4 You laid down your commandments, *
that we should fully keep them.

5 Oh, that my ways were made so direct *
that I might keep your statutes!

6 Then I should not be put to shame, *
when I regard all your commandments.

7 I will thank you with an unfeigned heart, *
when I have learned your righteous judgments.

8 I will keep your statutes; *
do not utterly forsake me.


Judith 8:1-8

The Character of Judith

8Now in those days Judith heard about these things: she was the daughter of Merari son of Ox son of Joseph son of Oziel son of Elkiah son of Ananias son of Gideon son of Raphain son of Ahitub son of Elijah son of Hilkiah son of Eliab son of Nathanael son of Salamiel son of Sarasadai son of Israel. 2Her husband Manasseh, who belonged to her tribe and family, had died during the barley harvest. 3For as he stood overseeing those who were binding sheaves in the field, he was overcome by the burning heat, and took to his bed and died in his town Bethulia. So they buried him with his ancestors in the field between Dothan and Balamon. 4Judith remained as a widow for three years and four months 5at home where she set up a tent for herself on the roof of her house. She put sackcloth around her waist and dressed in widow’s clothing. 6She fasted all the days of her widowhood, except the day before the sabbath and the sabbath itself, the day before the new moon and the day of the new moon, and the festivals and days of rejoicing of the house of Israel. 7She was beautiful in appearance, and was very lovely to behold. Her husband Manasseh had left her gold and silver, men and women slaves, livestock, and fields; and she maintained this estate. 8No one spoke ill of her, for she feared God with great devotion.

A Song of Wisdom Sapientia liberavit
Wisdom 10:15-19,20b-21

Wisdom freed from a nation of oppressors *
a holy people and a blameless race.
She entered the soul of a servant of the Lord, *
withstood dread rulers with wonders and signs.

To the saints she gave the reward of their labors, *
and led them by a marvelous way;
She was their shelter by day *
and a blaze of stars by night.

She brought them across the Red Sea, *
she led them through mighty waters;
But their enemies she swallowed in the waves *
and spewed them out from the depths of the abyss.

And then, Lord, the righteous sang hymns to your Name, *
and praised with one voice your protecting hand;
For Wisdom opened the mouths of the mute, *
and gave speech to the tongues of a new-born people.

Luke 21:1-4

21He looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; 2he also saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. 3He said, ‘Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; 4for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.’

A Song of God’s Love
1 John 4:7-11

Beloved, let us love one another, *
for love is of God.
Whoever does not love does not know God, *
for God is Love.
In this the love of God was revealed among us, *
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through Jesus Christ.
In this is love, not that we loved God but that God loved us *
and sent his Son that sins might be forgiven.
Beloved, since God loved us so much, *
we ought also to love one another.
For if we love one another, God abides in us, *
and God’s love will be perfected in us.

Gracious Father, who called your servant Therese to a life of fervent prayer, give to us the spirit of prayer and zeal for the ministry of the Gospel, that the love of Christ may be known throughout all the world; through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Show me, Lord, what it means to live in the night of unbelief, so that my life in the light of faith may help unbelievers to attain to the joys of Your grace. With Thérèse I pray, ‘What does it matter that I should catch no glimpse of heaven’s beauties here on earth, if that will help poor sinners to see themselves in heaven.’ Amen.

God we pray for peace your broken world.
May peace and love prevail.

God we pray for women and children and the most vulnerable who are in danger or abuse.
May peace, love, and compassionate care prevail.

God we pray for our enemies and our enemies' family members who are caught in war's cross hairs.
May peace and love prevail.

God we pray for all refugees, captives, and all who are victims of human trafficking. 
May they be set free to live in safety and may peace and love prevail.

God we pray for  all of our leaders that they may stop legislating cruelty and be aware that when they are hurting another human or living being they are hurting and doing violence to you.
May justice roll down and may peace and love prevail

God we pray for all of us who are struggling to live out in the open as the beautiful children whom God has mad
e.  May we not be afraid to live authentically into our own truth.
May we have strength and courage to be ourselves and may peace, justice, equality, and love prevail.

God we pray for all who are ill in body mind and spirit may they be healed of all their infirmities!
May health and healing take place and may love and peace prevail in our bodies, minds, and spirits.

God we pray for all who are in mourning over any kind of  loss.
May love ,comfort and peace prevail in their hearts.

God we pray this night for all who are homeless, hungry, and ill clad.
May we lovingly respond to their needs and may they find shelter from the cold and nourishment for their bodies.

God we add our thanksgivings, thoughtful thoughts, and additional prayers________________
Let us lift these our prayers in the Name of Jesus, our brother, friend, savior, teacher, and  healer. Amen.


Or this

A Prayer for Hospitality
EVER-LOVING GOD, who having loved us loves us still, help us to hear again your word, “By this shall they know you are my disciples; that you love one another.” Turn our hostility into hospitality and our callousness into care. Through Christ, we pray. Amen.

– Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck

God we thank you for welcoming us into your family.
May we welcome all of our family members and be lovingly welcoming.

God we thank you that we feel your loving presence each day.

May we give all of our family members the gift of our presence.

God we thank you that you for the joy you give us as we welcome new family members with love.

May we give all of our new family members a welcome filled with joy and love.

God we thank you that you are always on the journey with us.

May we hold hands together as we journey on as true family members united in peace, joy, justice, and equality.


God we thank you that you give us sensitive hearts, empowering spirits, and minds to think.
May we have empathy, sympathy, zest, and intelligence to be the beautiful people of God that you created.

God we thank you for opportunities to serve and care for the least of these.


God we thank you for opportunities to care for the caregiver.


God we thank you  for courage to be a voice for the voiceless, to speak truth to power, and to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you .


God we thank you for the tenderness to  care for our family members who are ill and lovingly with compassion shepherd those who are mourning who are going through their grieving process.


God we thank you and pray for___________________


Accept these our prayers in the name of Jesus. Amen.  



“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”


― Teresa of Ávila

“Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.” 
― Teresa of Ávila

The Song of Simeon Nunc dimittis
Luke 2:29-32
Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, *
according to thy word;
For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, *
which thou hast prepared before the face of all people,
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles, *
and to be the glory of thy people Israel.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: *
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.


The Wisdom of God
the Love of God
and the Grace of God
strengthen you
to be Christ’s hands and heart in this world,
in the name of the Holy Trinity. Amen.
(source: Celtic)

Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always
protected you, and loves you as a mother. Go in peace to follow
the good road and may God’s blessing be with you always. Amen.

(source: from Saint Clare)

The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!" 
I hold holy space for you during this time of prayer, vigil, and meditaion. 

Or this closing adaptation:


The Light of Christ in me Recognizes the Light of Christ in you!"
I hold holy space for you in love and peace this day and always!
Let us remember the CALM principles:
Let us Sow Seeds of:
C= Compassion
A= Acceptance
L= Love
M = Mercy
Let us speak in words that are:
C= Comforting
A= Appreciative
L= Living and Loving
M= Mindful and Matter
Let our deeds be:
C= Caring and Compassionate
A= Admirable
L= Life giving
M= Mannerly

The Aidan Compline (Northumbria Community)


Aidan came to Lindisfarne from Iona in the year 635 at the request of King Oswald. He was a man of deep prayer who meditated on the words of Scripture, equipping himself in quiet for an active and highly effective apostolate. He remained at Lindisfarne for 16 years. In 651, Aidan was taken ill at Bamburgh and died. Cuthbert, who was a that moment looking after his flock of sheep on the Lammermuir hills, saw a vision of angels taking Aidan’s soul to heaven.
If this Compline is being used in a group setting the * notation indicates a change of reader; words in bold are said all together; words in bold italic are said by each person in turn; and + indicates where you might make the sign of the cross.

+ (silently)

* O Christ, Son of the living God,
may Your holy angels guard our sleep,
may they watch over us as we rest
and hover around our beds.

* Let them reveal to us in our dreams
visions of Your glorious truth,
O High Prince of the universe,
O High Priest of the mysteries.

* May no dreams disturb our rest
and no nightmares darken our dreams.
May no fears or worries delay
our willing, prompt repose.

* May the virtue of our daily work
hallow our nightly prayers.
May our sleep be deep and soft
so our work be fresh and hard.

I will lie down and sleep in peace
for You alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

My dear ones, O God, bless Thou and keep,
in every place where they are.

* Into Your hands I commit my spirit;
I give it to You with all the love of my heart.

* How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake, I am still with You.

I make the cross of Christ upon my breast,
+ over the tablet of my hard heart,
and I beseech the Living God of the universe –
may the Light of Lights come
to my dark heart from Thy place;
may the Spirit’s wisdom come to my heart’s tablet
from my Saviour.

* Christ without sin, Christ of wounds,
I am placing my soul and my body
under Thy guarding this night,
Christ of the poor, Christ of tears.
Thy cross be my shielding this night,
O Thou Son of tears, of the wounds, of the piercing.

I am going now into the sleep:
O be it in Thy dear arm’s keep,
O God of grace, that I shall awake.

* My Christ! my Christ!
my shield, my encircler,
each day, each night,
each light, each dark.

* My Christ! my Christ!
my shield, my encircler,
each day, each night,
each light, each dark.
Be near me, uphold me,
my treasure, my triumph.

Circle me, Lord,
keep protection near
and danger afar.

* Circle me, Lord,
keep light near
and darkness afar.

* Circle me, Lord,
keep peace within;
keep evil out.

The peace of all peace
be mine this night
+ in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.

++++

Good Night Dear Ones! I love you and give thanks to God for you this day and always! You are loved and you matter. Love God, Your Neighbor, and Yourself! 

Peace, love, prayers, and God's blessings!

Sara

Resources:
Enriching Our Worship
Northumbria Comunity
In Lak 'Ech - Luis Valdez
Quote sites for prayers
Walk With Me On Our Journey
Satucket Lectionary
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment