Sunday, June 29, 2014

A prayer walk like no other, Relay for Life Relay for love!




Dear Family of Love.

Many of you may have read this post on Facebook this afternoon but I felt it was worth sharing again for those may not have done so.
As the old spiritual said "O Lord What a Morning!" I wasn't sure what I'd find when I went up to the Elks' Unocal Event Center for Relay for Life. When I checked in they gave us each a wrist band, a bag, a tee shirt, and lots of goodies to go in the bag. We also signed this year's survivor quilt.  We had a continental breakfast, They had those poppy seed muffins! I hope they don't screw up my labs on Monday! The opening ceremonies were very moving and then it was time for the survivor lap. We filed past Airmen from VAFB (Vandenberg Air Force Base), The Sheriff's department, and the Fire department, and were each given a medal as a symbol of being a hero. I'm getting misty and teary while I write this. And then we were given roses by young people. I feel blessed to be in this awesome family of people living and surviving with cancer. As I walked two laps I thought of how many people who are my survivor heroes and heroines that have graced all of our lives. I see myself standing on the shoulders of courageous people everywhere. My dad Leroy, Mother Louise, Sister Margaret all who are my role models and yes many of you whom I call family. Tonight I will go back for the luminary ceremony. My friend Alesia Pappas-Yglesias bought one to honor me. These are special times dear family and I love you and am so very grateful to and for you.

This evening I did go  back to the Relay for Life's Luminaria Ceremony and had an opportunity to do two more laps and reflect on all the luminaries that were given in honor, memory, and support of. I  had an emotional experience seeing my luminary and one of my friends who is battling colon cancer as well. Today we celebrated lives lost, lives being healed, and lives that are being reborn because of Cancer. I got to see more survivors who have Canned their Cancer and lived to tell about it. Hearing everyone's stories meant that this wasn't just Relay for Life, It was and is a Relay for love. This evening instead of the usual written   prayers let today's photos speak to you as a prayer. I ask you to remember, celebrate, pray, and give thanks for those who have Cancer, are caregivers, Those who have lost their battle with the disease, and celebrate today and celebrate loving, living and laughing.





























Good Night Family of Love!

I love you, you matter, and together we will continue our amazing prayer walking pilgrimage and journey.
Every day we walk and pray is like no other and will never come again.

Peace, Love, Blessings, and I give thanks to God for you this day and always,

Sara

Today was truly a day of "Amazing Grace" ! This was played at tonight's Luminaria Ceremony and walk around the track.




No comments:

Post a Comment