Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Touchstones and Nostalgia: A visit to Cook School or my place of healing and wholeness!


Dear Family of Love and Pilgrims on Our Journey,

Today I decided to go back in time and visit places that meant something to me as a child and now as a grown up. I'm not sure that many of you know about my learning disability and neurological deficits that I was born with. Some of you do and some of you may not. I was born with minimal brain dysfunction, small motor deficiencies, and dyslexia. If you look into my eyes you might see that one eye is slanted. When I was at Adam Elementary for kindergarten I told my teacher Mrs. Biddle that something was wrong and that my brain was going too fast for my coordination. I also had neurological glitches or stutters that made it difficult to learn. If my brain was going a million miles an hour or so it felt like it, it would blow fuses and and freeze up. I'm surprised that I was able to articulate my disability. Mrs. Biddle had me checked out by Dr. Botts the school psychologist and sure enough I had problems. That meant having Dr. Barry for my pediatrician who set me up for my first EEG and medication (Phenobarbital and Dilantin) I'm no longer on any of these. I also had Dr. Hal C. Purcell for my ophthalmologist and got my first baby blue framed glasses. Adam elementary didn't have the program I needed so off to Cook Street School I went. Cook School now has the new Fire Station but the old buildings are still there. I was in special ed for 3 years and 1 month. I conquered my disabilities and was mainstreamed directly into 4th grade and returned to my neighborhood school for 6th grade. During this time I learned what it meant to be bullied, beat up, and name called. I was called Retardo, Fag, Jap, and many others. That didn't stop for many years. I still have the feeling of being an outcast and on the margins occasionally. That's why I stand against bullying in its many forms. 

Why am I telling you this? I decided that today I needed to visit Cook School and take pictures and make peace with a piece of my past and celebrate the good things that happened there. I wouldn't be the person I am without God and the wonderful and many people I have met along the way and that includes all of you. Cook School taught me one of the most valuable lessons that I learned later in community organizing - Push a Negative hard enough it will become a positive. I have done and am doing just that and so can you. Don't ever let anyone put you down or make you feel bad about yourself. Don't let all the bad garbage from the past infect your brain and play mind games on you! I'm a perfect example of moving beyond that. Although I still have blips on the radar and glitches of self-doubt. That changes everyday when I'm hearing that this blog is making a difference in your life.It is also making a difference in mine in ways that are beyond your and my imagination. l will tell a few more things about myself along the way but just know this, I celebrate today as a whole person born with unique gifts that make me a better person and sensitive to what is happening with you. I feel our love and our connection between us too.  God is Good! All the Time! All the Time God is Good! So are you my dear family! I love you, I celebrate us as the awesome family that God has brought together, and I continue to give God thanks for you this day and always!
I did prayer walk tonight and carried all of you and your prayers in my heart as always! I never forget that this is what I am called to do every day and evening.

Love and peace of mind and grateful for us being the awesome family that God has brought together,

Sara

















Novelty Songs and the Christmas song when I was at Cook Street School!

Merry Christmas Baby- Otis Redding 1967

Asuwang - Novelty song in 1966

Mah Na Mah Na


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing intimate details of your past. So many of us have issues of one kind or another and I am glad you came out on top despite the bulling, etc. You are strong.

    ReplyDelete