Saturday, August 8, 2015

How Well do you Know your neighborhood and neighbors/ family members?




Dear Family of Love!

What a day! I had the opportunity to participate in a walkabout with my parish today with our bishop suffragan the Rt. Rev. Diane Jardine Bruce. We were divided up into four groups with three participants in each group. . This walkabout took us around the neighborhood surrounding our church.We had a scribe, picture taker, and another participant. That being said that got my mental wheels turning and I too was thinking about the question that I posed in tonight's blog title: How well  do you know your neighborhood and neighbors/family members? Can you name at least three neighbors on your block, in your apartment building, condo or in your  retirement community? I have lived in my house for 55 years this month and we only have two original neighbors remaining on our block and that includes Nancy and me. I challenge each of you to get to know your neighbors and your surrounding areas. God wants us to do this because being neighbors is the way we learn to Love  God, and ourselves and begin to have holy relationships one to another. This is also a good time to survey the neighborhood's physical attributes prior to school starting for safety. Please check the sidewalks and lighting. Tonight's meditation is that age old question,"Who is my neighbor?" and a few others, What is my responsibility towards my neighbor?  Do I really have to be neighborly? Did God really mean that I should Love My Neighbor? These questions are for you to answer in the quiet of your own hearts. I'm not going to give you any of my answers. Take time to do your own breathing exercises and centering before you tackle the questions. 

For you to remember: Mr. Rogers Neighborhood Theme Song  

The People in Your Neighborhood - Sesame Street

Now let us pray for our neighbors/ family members.

God help us to be good neighbors who love and support one another.

God give us courage to go next door and introduce ourselves.

God we pray that we may live in united neighborhoods and learn from each other.

God  we pray that we may know that our neighbors are our family members too and yes they are the least of these.

God we pray for safety in our neighborhoods and that their may be safe lighting and sidewalks. 

God we pray for peace in our larger neighborhood the world, the nations, our nation, and all cities and towns.

God we pray that we my truly love you , our neighbors, and ourselves.

God grant us courage to speak for our neighbors who are voiceless and fighting injustice and persecution. 

God take away all bitterness we may have towards our neighbors who differ from us in many and diverse ways.

God help us to know that we must be good neighbors to our environment and animal kingdom.

God teach us to care for our neighbors who are ill and pray for them remembering especially____________

God help us to care for the children, elderly, those who mourn and all those who are going through tender times. 

God accept these our prayers in the Name of Jesus who taught us to be neighborly. Amen.

+++++++ 
Good Night Dear Family Members and Neighbors! I love you! I give thanks for you this night and always. 

With love, joy, prayers, and blessings,

Sara




















No comments:

Post a Comment